Australia is quickly moving up the list as one of the most preferred places to hold a destination wedding. In fact Sydney has been named six years running as the world’s best travel location. Australia’s spectacular ocean views coupled with the majestic open space provide an intriguing and appealing setting to many who live abroad. Tour operators are offering full all-inclusive packages, while if booked at the right time, airlines are offering major discounts to fly to Australia.
Legal requirements to have a wedding in Australia are few but one must take care to ensure the necessary documentation is in place.
- The documents may not be signed and dated during the one month and one day prior to the wedding. They may, however, be dated for as long as eighteen months in advance of the wedding.
- Australia requires a “Notice Of Intended Marriage Form” to be completed in your own handwriting. Copies in the form of faxes, emails and the like will not be accepted. The actual original in handwriting is required. The form is easy to obtain from any Australian Consulate in the world or from the wedding planner in Australia who will organize your wedding on your behalf.
- Once the form is completed, those couples already in Australia may have it witnessed by an authorized party from a list of many. If outside of Australia, a Notary Public will be fine.
- Copies of the couple’s birth certificates will be needed.
- Copies of both persons’ passports.
- If either of the parties are divorced or widowed, copies of the relevant documents will be required. For example, divorce certificate and/or death certificate.
- No blood tests and residency requirements are necessary.
- Once married, a Certified copy of your Marriage Certificate will be issued upon application.
Because Australia is highly desirable as a destination wedding location, there are many ways in which to enjoy your wedding ceremony. Local wedding planners will help you coordinate a beach wedding, yacht wedding, lake wedding or garden wedding. Some of the more unique themes are the Tall Ship weddings, the Rainforest weddings, Atop-A-Cliff weddings and the Opera House weddings. Indeed, it will be difficult to choose, as the settings in Australia are magnificent.
For the really adventurous bride and groom, parachuting out of an airplane to see the diverse wildlife may be the event of a lifetime. With koalas, kangaroos and wallabies, they say Australia has the cutest wild animals in the world. Australia also has very relaxed rules about where and how a couple may be married, leading many couples to choose outdoor weddings with very special themes.
Because Australia is so splendid in beauty and there are so many things to see and do, destination wedding locations are numerous and by far unlimited. Whether on land or out to sea, any wedding performed in Australia will be a lasting memory. Some suggestions for wedding locations in Australia are:
- The Great Barrier Reef offers a fine selection of diverse wedding themes. Choose between a location on one of the islands, a secluded wedding on a private island or an underwater wedding among the fabulous marine and sea life.
- The Magical Wedding Temple on the Gold Coast, modeled after an ancient Greek temple, is listed as one of the most beautiful wedding locations in the world.
- Port Douglas in the far north of Queensland offers a quiet, secluded area for wedding couples. Weddings in this area are typically less formal but incredibly romantic and breathtaking.